Fitting architrave when two doorframes join?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been fitting architraves for the first time. This has gone fine on 'normal' frames but I now have a situation whereby two frames butt up against each other and are narrow - see pictures.

How would you folks approach this, please?

I'm using torus arcs at 7cm width.

Attachments

• C4EF3D46-59E5-4E6C-8081-74A59B05F02A.jpeg
    C4EF3D46-59E5-4E6C-8081-74A59B05F02A.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 114
  • F4AE3DE7-3920-49B7-A62C-8F722C667508.jpeg
    F4AE3DE7-3920-49B7-A62C-8F722C667508.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 108
  • FDC4F4CA-0D6E-4CB3-AC8D-DBC8A11CFE60.jpeg
    FDC4F4CA-0D6E-4CB3-AC8D-DBC8A11CFE60.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 12CE6F5D-DA86-43B1-868D-68FAC91EA817.jpeg
    12CE6F5D-DA86-43B1-868D-68FAC91EA817.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Run the two heads into corner scribed or if corners good mitre it the run a quadrant up too it same thickness as bottom of arc
Plus you have put you're arcs on back too front

I'd say the solution depends on what the architrave looks like. If it is quarter round I'd rip down the wider of the two legs (the left hand door) and fit that as normal. I'd then the right hand frame I'd do as the previous poster says - put the RH leg and head in then infill where the LH leg would go using a quarter round bead scribed to the head at the top. If the skirting is chamvered or square edges or something else it might require a different solution

Run the two heads into corner scribed or if corners good mitre it the run a quadrant up too it same thickness as bottom of arc
Plus you have put you're arcs on back too front

FFS! :mad: Needless to say I'm fuming with myself right now. I was so focused on making it look neat I didn't even consider which way round it goes. I mean, it looks nice...until the skirts go on a jut out horrifically. Thank you for pointing it out. I'm off to buy a pry bar, some filler and a bottle of rum.

I'd say the solution depends on what the architrave looks like. If it is quarter round I'd rip down the wider of the two legs (the left hand door) and fit that as normal. I'd then the right hand frame I'd do as the previous poster says - put the RH leg and head in then infill where the LH leg would go using a quarter round bead scribed to the head at the top. If the skirting is chamvered or square edges or something else it might require a different solution

It's torus (albeit currently back to front). Do you need a table saw to rip down? I don't have one. Alternatively, is there somewhere I could get it cut for me?

Sponsored Links
Arcs now facing the right way!

Have also managed to find some narrower torus architrave for that corner too, though will still need ripping down I think. Will finish the other bits first then look at doing as you suggested.

Attachments

• 13E03801-951C-452C-8554-AD7F55B02C21.jpeg
    13E03801-951C-452C-8554-AD7F55B02C21.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 75
It's torus (albeit currently back to front). Do you need a table saw to rip down? I don't have one. Alternatively, is there somewhere I could get it cut for me?
If needs be you can rip it down with a portable circular saw (needs a rip fence), a jigsaw or even a hand saw - providing you accurately mark the cut line and you have something like a block plane to clean the edge up. You may need to rig-up two pieces of architrave side by side pinned onto a piece of softwood to support the base of a circular saw. I do the job from time to time on site, but rarely have a table saw available (although that said it is easier to do the job on a table saw). As to getting it cut, ask around to see if you have a local joiners shop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back