Interior door architrave gaps - worth worrying about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently noticed some gaps appearing around the internal doors of our flat (purpose built in 2015) - please see pictures for the worst examples. It's hard to tell but it's as if the wall/architrave/skirting has risen slightly. Is this normal for a relatively new building? We've been here 5 years but only recently noticed this so I can't say if it was there to begin with or has gotten worse unfortunately. From shining a torch into the gaps it doesn't appear to be the result of moisture ingress or anything like that as the plaster and wood is dry in appearance.

Pressing on the architrave, the gap doesn't close easily which makes me think it's the wall that's moved slightly relative to the door frame just enough for the gap to form. On one of the doors it runs almost to the top of the architrave vertically on each side, on another it's only on one side, and on another it's only half way up.

Would you just recaulk over it? Or should I be getting someone in to look at it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Wood shrinks along its width (but not its length) as it dries out.

A new build tends to be quite damp due to wet plaster and new concrete, if the wooden trim was fixed then, it is liable to pull away. Some people make their houses damp by draping wet washing indoors.

Ordinary caulk also shrinks. Scrape it out and use a silicone gun that does not shrink. White looks OK if the paintwork is white, but a paintable grade will be better for when you paint the walls.

I am a decorator... It looks like someone used silicone to seal the edges of the architrave.

Image number 2, it looks like the paint has pulled itself away from the edge filling sealant. I would not expect to see that with regular caulk. In the event of caulk cracking, I expect the paint to still adhere to it.

Easy test- run your fingernail over the join, if it is silicone, the paint will snap off.

Silicone should never be used on a surface that is going to be painted. Caulk or MS polymers are fine though.

Anyone that uses silicone to seal edges to be painted is a chuffin' cowboy.

Image number 3- it looks like they used clear silicone to fill the gap and force fed paint over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back