Gap between architrave and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, complete DIY novice here and not sure if I'm posting in the correct sub forum...

I have a door at the end of my landing. On either side of the door there is a non uniform gap varying between 5mm at the bottom and 15mm at the top between the architrave and the wall. I was wondering what people would recommend to do about it. It's too wide and deep for any caulking.
I'm going to paint all of the architrave and ajoining walls but want to make this more sightly first. Do I need a joiner to make everything flush with the wall and would this be an easy job?

I've attached an image. The size of the gap highlighted by the red rectangle.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Can you not cut a strip & fill it.
You could plaster it.
When I had similar problem, I used bigger architrave & cut it.
The experts will be here soon..or maybe in the morning.

They are all watchin DIY SOS at the moment.

Best way is to use a wider piece and rip down to suit.

Alternatively you could use a piece of quadrant or scotia to cover the gap, then paint/stain.

Steve

As mentioned, the neatest way is to use a wider strip cut/scribed to fit. The problem with that is the mitre can be thrown out at the top and you will either need to nick off the tip of the wider piece or adjust the angles for a perfect fit. For this reason, most DIYers (and a lot of pros) tend to use a quadrant bead, also already mentioned, which is quicker/easier.

Sponsored Links
i'm guessing the wood is about 15mm thick,
fill about half of the thickness with a cheap multipurpose filler and let it fully dry (this is only for packing)
then buy some good quality wood filler and fill the rest let it dry again and sand it down.
it will look perfect when painted i had a similar problem my self i really hate these little fiddly jobs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back