Architrave / Skirting Qs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting new architrave - the door liner is perfectly upright but the wall is bowed / drunk (and the floor slopes)!
In the pic you can see that the architrave is almost flush against the wall at the bottom but then a gap / ravine develops along the length. Am I
  • best leaving the gap as it is
    using filler to make the architrave look likes it reaches the wall
    cut a fillet of wood to make the architrave reach the wall
    or something else

Obviously the ideal solution would be to sort the wall out but the £££s have run dry :cry:

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd plane a slip of timber that tapered from nothing at the bottom to whatever is required at the top.
The outer edge of the taper should be parallel to the line at the middle of the existing moulding.
John :)

If the architrive is wide enough then trim it to suit the wall.
The wall is the template btw to mark the architrive so any irregularaties will match the architrive exactly.

Unfortunately its not wide enough.
Forgot to ask my other q in the original post.
I'm going to get the upstairs landing carpetted but where should I finish the skirting where it reaches the banisters? Where the floorboard ends or right up to the edge?

Sponsored Links
When you decorate a lot of the anomolies will disapear ,decorators filler covers a multitude of sins,apply dec's filler to gap screed off with wet spongethen leave it to go off,it will shrink back to a concave shape thats OK,paint the concave filler the same as the wall, paint the architraves just to the filler line that way the curved section disappears into the wall

I'm fitting new architrave - the door liner is perfectly upright but the wall is bowed / drunk (and the floor slopes)!
In the pic you can see that the architrave is almost flush against the wall at the bottom but then a gap / ravine develops along the length. Am I
  • best leaving the gap as it is
    using filler to make the architrave look likes it reaches the wall
    cut a fillet of wood to make the architrave reach the wall
    or something else

Obviously the ideal solution would be to sort the wall out but the £££s have run dry :cry:
I would replace architrave with skirting of same profile the extra width would allow it to be trimmed flush to meed bowed wall.

danr86";p="2619384 said:
I'm going to get the upstairs landing carpetted but where should I finish the skirting where it reaches the banisters? Where the floorboard ends or right up to the edge?

Ideally there should be a vertical timber at wall end up to handrail and skirting would butt to that, carpet fitter then curls carpet under just short of vertical sticks and tacks down for a neat edge.

I reckon you are all on the wrong track (apart from Norcon). If it's an old house with a bowed wall then simply put the new architrave flush like the old architrave. In your head you accept that a bent wall will have a bent door. Making the door/trim completely vertical simply highlights the wonky wall and looks plain silly.

It is what it it is.

as fox said if you had a half newel the skirting could terminate there ,it looks as though the balastrades go stright into a noseing piece on the edge of the landing flush with the floor boards,so terminate the skirting just before the bullnose edge and return it back into the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back