architrave not flat against wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I've put in all new door liners in my house along with new skirting and architrave.

My problem is when i've come to fit my architrave, its nailed to the liner but its not sitting flat again the wall. I always seem to have somewhere between 5 - 10mm gap. The first couple I thought no problem, I'll fill it but now its starting me thinking im doing something wrong here.

The liner is inline/flush with the plaster on the walls.

Can anyone advise what I may be doing wrong here?

Sponsored Links
Architrave may be warped or you may be pinning it very close to the edge of liner causing it to flick up away from wall.

Sponsored Links
Architrave may be warped or you may be pinning it very close to the edge of liner causing it to flick up away from wall.

This is what im thinking... I plaster the walls myself and they arent hollow and the plaster isnt proud of the liner.

If the walls are truly flush with the liner i'd have used grab adhesive. Can't see a reason not too, other than price i guess.

Could you not also put some longer nails into the flicked up end of the arcs in at an angle so they bite into the liner instead of the plasterboard?
That make sense?

Personally i'd use adhesive.

this a classic chippies aggravation ,after all the wet trades have finished and the site dries out the door liner shrinks and leaves a step over the plaster. One of the best ways to deal with this is to rebate out the back of the architrave.

this a classic chippies aggravation ,after all the wet trades have finished and the site dries out the door liner shrinks and leaves a step over the plaster. One of the best ways to deal with this is to rebate out the back of the architrave.
Op stated no step, all flush.

the liner could be out of square put a straight edge across the joint if gaps show up this could be a job for decorators filler set the architrave on the decs filler this should get you over all the humps and bumps

the liner could be out of square put a straight edge across the joint if gaps show up this could be a job for decorators filler set the architrave on the decs filler this should get you over all the humps and bumps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back