Need to fit architrave on uneven door frames - what tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've been tasked with fitting skirting and architrave all around my sister's house.

I am dreading it really as I've only managed 'OK' jobs in the past. Stressing me out just thinking about it. Started today and immediately I can see that the door frames are out of square. I won't be able to do standard 45 degree cuts on them.

I have a sliding mitre saw, which has adjustable angles. I want to get a tool that will accurately measure corners on door frames and external skirting so I can just set the saw to the correct angle and cut it and be done with it.

I have found a digital angle finder which might work but I wouldn't know really so I thought I would ask you guys if if it is a suitable tool.

It is this one -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-Digital-angle-DAR-200/dp/B003NKALBC/ref=pd_sim_diy_10

Would a tool like this be suitable for measuring door frame edge angles?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
It would certainly help - its a posh version of the traditional bevel gauge.
Whether the angle measurer on your mitre saw would be that accurate is another issue!
Use some spare architrave to do test cuts if you like.....and don't forget polyfilla is a god send at times (just don't let on and no one will know :p )
John :)

Thanks for the reply Burnerman.

That's a relief, I might give one of these a go then.

So I guess what I would do is mark the margin around the door frame, let it intersect at the edge, and just line this tool up to the lines, calculate angle and half it? And for skirting just lay along the two wall edges and do the same?

Sponsored Links
Unless they are way out I would cut them at 45 degrees and adjust the spacing to accommodate, will not be noticeable.You skirting can then be cut square, scribe internal corners.

Thanks Norcon. Watched loads of videos like that but they're all aimed at perfect door linings.

Foxhole, I tried one today, cut it at 45 and the top piece was well out. Seeing as I've got loads to do (as well as decorating) I just want to bite the bullet and get some decent tools.

I know it's a daft question, but will my plan outlined above work for using this tool?

Your plan should work fine, just give it a go on some offcuts first.
Of course, its not strictly necessary to mitre the skirtings....just scribing the profile of the skirting onto the other will do well enough - thats up to you!
John :)

You could try a festool bevel guage which splits the angle accurately.
It costly though at £86 quid. Axminster supply them.

Yeah I'll be scribing the internal joins Burnerman, just the external ones I'm concerned about.

That is a bit costly tbh Norcon, thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully it'll work out well.

little trick,if you end up cutting the 1st 2 angles and they are out a tad,fix the archs to the frame and then use a tennon saw and cut along the 2 together,then tap them together using either pva or some painters chaulk,make sure you have a damp sponge to wipe away excess.

For doing your facing you don't need any fancy angle devices. Don't know if you are fitting base blocks but I would to make life easier at the junction of the skirting and facings. For your facings start by cutting your legs roughly 100mm longer than needed and also cut your head 100mm longer. If the angles is only just out then take a leg to the door and mark the short point and the direction the mitre is to go cut on mitre saw check the short point is in the right place and fix doesn't matter if you do left of right leg first, now you are going to chase the facing around so cut a mitre on the corresponding end to the leg just fitted then cut the mitre and fit with block plane if out. Once happy mark the other end cut the mitre, glue the joint and fix. Then with the last leg cut the mitre so the leg still comes past the top of the base block as before adjust the fit with a block plane once happy with the fit turn the leg up side down and mark the top of the facing head on the leg and cut then glue the joint and fix. It the corners are really bad do the same as before but with a cutting of facing say 300mm at the mitre mark where the legs and head will intersect this will then give your on point and short points of the and is just a case of adjust the bevel on the saw to suit, you can use a sliding bevel to help and as before chase the facings around the door. If

Thanks gregers.

Wrightwoodwork, I doubt I will need base blocks, the skirting and architrave match in terms of thickness so they should butt up nicely. I have to say a lot of your post kind of went over my head (just a humble DIY'er!) but you have given me an idea. You can get corner blocks to fit at the top of architraves can't you? That might take out the need to mitre anything. Would they look OK on Ogee?

Yes can use the blocks you refer to at the mitres your facings are just ogee then not ogee and bead. If doing ogee and bead I think you maybe we struggle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back