How to use a compound mitre saw for proper mitres?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a sliding compound mitre saw.

When fitting skirting, in reality an external corner is rarely 90 degrees and the walls are rarely vertical.

Obviously you can get a great result with a compount mitre saw, but I am a bit stumped on how, in practise, you work out the compound angles.

Can anyone explain, or link me to a guide, on how you can measure up/ mark up etc to get a perfect join.

I guess this is a general carpentry thing too cos it'd apply to architrave etc when the architrace needs to angle up to clean reskimmed plaster that's proud of the door frame.

thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
no good trying to do compounds on skirting as each wall has to lean forward or back the same amount to work lol ;)

lay a bit off paper or card in the corner
take a bit off skirting about 6" long
place into the corner on one wall and draw a line
move to the other wall draw a line
draw a line from the corner to where the lines cross and thats the angle you have to cut

And even Alls method relies on walls being flat, any curve and when fixed the angle will change again.Have some filler ready. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back