door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to change exterior door hinges with some sort of "extension" hinge so that the door can stick out beyond the brickwork and enable the door to open 180 degrees? It is a UPVC double glazed door onto a decking.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how far your door is inset from the outer face of the external wall. I've seen hinges which will give you about 2-3 inches, but any more than that you'd probably have to move the door frame outwards so that the hinge pivot point is closer to the outside of the wall.

I only need to extend about 1 inch, but have had no luck in finding any hinges at all that extend! The maker of the door said you don't get them, do you know where i can?

The hinge you require is called a parliment hinge.
They are fitted to exterior french doors to allow the door to open and rest to the exterior wall.

Sponsored Links
I found your query through an internet search and wondered if you found anywhere that sells extended UPVC hinges that will allow the door to open 180 degrees whilst being set back from the brick by 1.5 inches.

Thanks, Andy

My UPVC front door was fitted by Starglaze several years ago but I now notice that the screws holding it to the frame have worked loose on the hinges. Trouble is I can't seem to open the hinge to tighten them, it is presumably sealed for security. Are there special tools for this or do I need to call in the manufacturer?

Very difficult without looking at your door as they are so many difference type of UPVC doors,sometimes they are special tools but you can buy them from a good tools shop.Normally most doors use a small allen key hidden somewhere and all UPVC doors are adjustable.

post locked to prevent hi-jacking again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back