Replacing door hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 hinge upvc door whose hinges I will replace soon. I am thinking of strategies to replace the hinges. Rather than take the door off, I want to replace one hinge at a time.
So remove the hinge, then close the door, double lock, install hinge; rinse and repeat.

I am debating with myself as to whether I should take out the double glazing panel. I guess my concern is whether the 2 hinges will be able to take the load for the few minutes it takes to replace the hinge.

Sponsored Links
Two hinges will easily take the weight BUT , it will depend on the type of hinge you are using.. if a flag hinge you have to lift the door sash over the and on to the hinge pin on the door frame, and if its glazed its a lot harder and heavier, personally I'd deglaze it, it doesn't take 5 minutes , make a note of where and how many packers are in place as you remove the glass, easy to refit then

Two hinges will easily take the weight BUT , it will depend on the type of hinge you are using.. if a flag hinge you have to lift the door sash over the and on to the hinge pin on the door frame, and if its glazed its a lot harder and heavier, personally I'd deglaze it, it doesn't take 5 minutes , make a note of where and how many packers are in place as you remove the glass, easy to refit then
Thanks. The current door has rebate hinges, and I will be replacing them with patriot plus flag hinges. Not sure what you mean about "lifting the door sash over the end".

Sponsored Links
If replacing with patriot plus , the part of the door hinge attached to the frame will have a ' peg ' for the part of the hinge attached to the door sash to slide over, so the door can pivot. This will mean you will be lifting the door on and off the hinge, definitely deglaze it

No, leave the door in situ i.e in the frame, screw the hinge bracket onto the frame and slide the remaining part with the hinge pin on it and tap it down, then get the door half of the hinge and slide it over the hinge pin then line up your pegs with the holes you've drilled and screw into the door, the sash never leaves the frame, as I described in your other hinge jig post, one hinge at a time, top, bottom then middle

No, leave the door in situ i.e in the frame, screw the hinge bracket onto the frame and slide the remaining part with the hinge pin on it and tap it down, then get the door half of the hinge and slide it over the hinge pin then line up your pegs with the holes you've drilled and screw into the door, the sash never leaves the frame, as I described in your other hinge jig post, one hinge at a time, top, bottom then middle
NIce, sounds pretty straight forward. There is one issue however, the hinges don't come with screws. Should I use the screws from the rebate hinge or must I buy new screws too ?

Yes reuse what you can, use the chunkiest screws you've got for the frame part, M5 self tapers are ideal and straight into the steel, for the door then self drilling screws if you have, M4.5 x 30mm or around there, not overly critical but DO NOT STRIP THEM, you only have one chance and they need to grip the plastic

Yes reuse what you can, use the chunkiest screws you've got for the frame part, M5 self tapers are ideal and straight into the steel, for the door then self drilling screws if you have, M4.5 x 30mm or around there, not overly critical but DO NOT STRIP THEM, you only have one chance and they need to grip the plastic
Thanks once again. What hole size should I drill for the M4.5s ?

None if self drillers, only drill for the pegs, the others ensure you get a good purchase on the pvc and hopefully steel reinforcing under the surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back