Door just dipped - what next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been done to death, but I couldn't find anything specific to the issue I have.

I had a door dipped, with the intention of re-painting white. It was kill or cure.

Anyway, after it's been dipped the wood underneath is actually in good condition (it's an original 1930s 5-panel shaker door). Am now considering leaving it natural (e.g. oiling, etc).

The only thing is it's pretty dark and a lot of the grain has gone grey (possibly due to the stripping solution).

What next: will sanding it (which it needs anyway), get it back to looking a bit lighter?

Cheers,
Ben

Sponsored Links
In my opinion dipping destroy's the intergrity of a door I would expect it to fall apart over the next few years. An hour or two with a heat gun would have been just as effective and a lot cheaper.

An hour or two with a heat gun would have been just as effective and a lot cheaper.

You are definitely right. But - also a lot of faff, and considering some of the layers of paint probably contain lead, I wanted to keep it well away from the kids.

-------

Rant:
I love diynot and refer to it all the time, but why is it becoming a place where people don't answer the question the OP originally asked but just take the righteous high ground and tell you from their ivory tower what you 'should have done'. It's not constructive and it does not answer the question.

Your comment would be fine along with a constructive answer. As it stands all it really says to me is 'I know better than you. ner ner ner ner ner'.

Sure, it may fall apart, but as I said it was kill or cure, so not too bothered really. It was worth a shot for £20. Better than poisoning the kids any day.
Rant over.

-------

Anyway... back to the question....

So what's next.. do you think it just needs some time to dry out, will sanding lighten it, bleach it, etc?

Thanks

Personally I've never had a stripped door fall apart, but quite a lot of the softer sapwood does get removed with the process and this makes the surface grain uneven.
So, a good sanding down will sort that, then its on with a preparation of you choice and colour, really.
Re hang the door straight away, and then wait a week or so before treating.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've had a load of doors stripped and doors that were already in poor condition generally came out worse but a good solid door can usually take wet stripping.

A bit of sanding when they are totally dry and then 3 coats of Danish oil makes them come up great in my opinion.

my suggestion

was it soaked for days in a solution??
if so lay it flat on several batons for around 6 weeks to shrink

clamp the sides together to close the joints
drill a 8mm hole through the tenon [2 or 3 on larger tenons ]
glue and knock in a 40mm x8mm dowel cut fill and sand

was it soaked for days in a solution??

Don't think so. They turned it around in a day or so, so it probably had a skinny dip in a hot caustic bath.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will leave it to dry out first. Think it may be dark because it's still damp. Will give it a sand once dry and see how we go from there.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back