Door Lifting equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hope you can help!
I've got to lift a french door off its hinges to replace the lock and do some major adjustments to the hinges themselves (hence the sheared lock bolt ;)).
It is particulatly wide, probably a design flaw, which causes weight problems on the hinges. If we were staying in the house I would replace the doors, but they are relatively new, so would be a waste and we want to move next year.
Have you got any ideas on hireable lifting equipment that could help, or even safe heath robinson ideas? Two hefty guys really struggled to get them on, so i know we'll need lifting help! Thought about an engine lifting crane with straps slung round the door but looks like the jib height is only 2m...we reckon we need around 2.5m. Any ideas gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Should have said that we've used a Genie Lifter for other projects in the past, which was our first thought, but it wouldnt be able to hold the door securely once it was free...

Thanks Foxhole - each door is a metre wide - we're used to lugging around heavy stuff - (we've done a fair amount of heavy groundwork and building) but these seem excessively heavy! I'm worried I'll lose control off the weight once they're off the hinges - leaving the hubby squashed underneath (mind you - I have got him insured...:) !)

Sponsored Links
If I'm on my own, I use double wedges pressed in at the bottom to take the weight.....once the hinges are off, I can walk the door away if need be. If you keep the door upright, gripping it between the jaws of a Workmate bench usually works.
John :)

Hi Burnerman - thankyou - the workmate is a good thought that we hadn't thought off - The door is a good half foot off the patio - so we'd have to work with wooden levers etc to raise it up to get it off the hinges, but we might be able to clamp it with your workmate idea - as an 'extra pair of hands'...

Our office doors were 1m wide and 3m high , but never needed any help with dismounting, just take your time and think about the process. A genie lift would be very impracticable.

Thanks Foxhole - lifting is not a massive problem but unfortunately because of the design of the hinges you have to hold the thing in the air for a prolonged period to get all three hinges to align - My dad helped the hubby last time - but can no longer lift - so it will be me the puny wife helping this time - hence the extra help needed to hold the thing in the air for long enough! - it is a real pig and very badly designed with the way the screws holding the hinges cannot be got to - unless the door is lifted up and off...

Lift-off hinges are fantastic for heavy and awkward doors.

Another potential plan John thanks - that with a workmate to stop it sliding just might do it...

I have some Eclipse lift-off fire door hinges where the pin is shorter than you'd expect, and has a point on the end, so easy to manoevre the female part into position and get all three hinges in line. Came from ironmongery direct.

Make up a skate [four strong castors on a piece of ply] then pack to correct height and you can wheel the door in and out of position.

How about a hydraulic pallet truck - you might have to put a wooden frame on it to lift and support the door if it's a foot off the ground already but should be quite easy - you could secure the door to it with a couple of straps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back