Door lining thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a lot of doors to change. As I will have interlinked smoke alarms in each room I am not required to fit FD30 doors but I have chosen to fit them anyway due to the sold feel. Is 30mm generally sufficient to take the weight of these doors (3 hinges)? Will probably opt for softwood given the cost of others.

Sponsored Links
Mr T
Not saying 30mm is good enough or not.
But with heavy doors, I always try and put a extra thickness of wood (ply) on door liner (between door liner and wall IF there is space) where the hinges will be. This is normally just a bit bigger than the size of the hinges. This just means that I can put longer screws in, and screws have more to bite into after I have fitted, removed and then re-fitted door a few times.

Also, suggest you use ball bearing fire door hinges.
SFK

Thanks for the feedback. Why ball bearing fire door hinges? How do they different from normal hinges? And I guess 3 hinges per door is norm?

What thickness have you usually gone for, 30mm or 32mm?

Mr T,
If your doors are heavy (mine are 30kg, but not firedoors) then Ball Bearing hinges will take the drop load of the door better than normal hinges.Yes seems 3 hinges is norm, and so I always seem to end up with one spare hinge however many doors I fit.
I feel they also feel better when you open the door and makes door feel better quality.

The first ones here are rated at <40kg
https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/fire-door-hinges/cat840988?producttype=ball_bearing_square_hinge|grade_11_fire_door_ball_bearing_hinges|grade_7_fire_door_ball_bearing_hinges|square_ball_bearing_hinge|fire_door_ball_bearing_hinges|grade_13_ball_bearing_hinges|grade_7_ball_bearing_hinges|ball_bearing_hinge|grade_7_radius_ball_bearing_hinge|ball_bearing_fire_hinges_radius_corners#category=cat840988&producttype=ball_bearing_square_hinge|grade_11_fire_door_ball_bearing_hinges|grade_7_fire_door_ball_bearing_hinges|square_ball_bearing_hinge|fire_door_ball_bearing_hinges|grade_13_ball_bearing_hinges|grade_7_ball_bearing_hinges|ball_bearing_hinge|grade_7_radius_ball_bearing_hinge|ball_bearing_fire_hinges_radius_corners&sort_by=price

Cannot remember Liner Thickness I used. Most likely the thinner, which is why I then added (say) 10cm by 4cm bits of wood (say 1 or 2 of 18mm thick ply) to get 48 or 66mm thick areas. My thinking that I wanted to use screws >40mm to hold door on.

SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A 30mm SW lining will hold a fire door no probelm, but the issue is that it's a waste of time hanging a 30 minute door on a lining that is not 30 minutes.

A 30mm SW lining will hold a fire door no probelm, but the issue is that it's a waste of time hanging a 30 minute door on a lining that is not 30 minutes.

So what makes the lining itself 30 min fire protective if it is not just the 30mm thickness itself? Assuming you also go for the strips then that should help but the strips dont make the lining any better.

though I fitted matching fire doors on the bathroom, utility and WC, using the existing door linings, because I prefer their noise-muffling and substantial weight.

I don't recall if the old linings looked different from others in the house, how do you tell?

So what makes the lining itself 30 min fire protective if it is not just the 30mm thickness itself? Assuming you also go for the strips then that should help but the strips dont make the lining any better.

It's not correct to think of say a 30 minute door and a 30 minute lining/frame but to think of a 30 minute door set - door and frame combined.

When doors are tested and certified, the requirements for the lining/frame are specified as part of the certification for the door.
Some may only accept a certain lining with rebated stops. Others may accept plant-on stops but fixed in a prescribed way - and that is what you need to determine.

30mm is often cited as a minimum for softwood, but some softwoods, White Wood for instance may not be dense enough, and neither may be some of the fast-grown softwood in the sheds nowadays.

Bare in mind fire will come from one side of the door and attack the door and lining on that side. So packing out linings/frames from the wall does little to help increase fire resistance of the lining/frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back