Retrospective installation of intumescent seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a new roof on our late Victorian house and have converted the loft including a staircase.
Before the work started, I spoke with the building inspector and he said firedoors wood be needed on all doors. Many of them are original so he said that linked alarms in all rooms, hall, landing would be an alternative.
I've done that.
He visited yesterday (I was not at home) and told the builder that each door would need intumescent seals fitting.
Is this correct? If so then I have to damage the original doors to fit them whereas I could have removed them and sold them to offset the cost of new doors.

Every room now has a smoke alarm and we never shut the doors of any rooms except the bedroom door at night. Unless latched, all doors swing open due to the way they are hinged, so the strips are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Are seals a requirement?

Sponsored Links
They don't specify any change to the house below the first floor ceiling level except the addition of stairs (which with Building Inspectors agreement are nothing like the drawing)

Remind him of his 'linked alarms' comment and tell him you have complied with that requirement.

Sponsored Links
I will. Just wondering what the rules were and if I had misinterpreted his original statement.

The rules get flakey when you start trying to upgrade old doors, how useful is a fire door if it still let's smoke through? The point about fire doors is that you can close them and would do if you found yourself trapped in a room waiting for the fire brigade.

Agree. In general they fit where they touch around the edges and light comes through chinks in the wood. But that's nothing compared to the 0.75x1.9m hole when they are permanently open!

Yes but you can close them when the alarm goes off can't you, it ain't brain surgery and fires always happen to someone else don't they.

If the doors are not fire doors, then the inspector may well want additional measures to ensure they perform as near as possible to a fire door.

You don't have the damage the doors, as there are strips available the fit into or onto the lining with no disruption.

If you do have a fire, make sure the pile of ash is in the closed position not the open position if you want your insurer to pay out. And just hope no-one loses their life because of the chocolate teapots

I totally get the potential risks associated with fire and understand the reasons for strips on new installations but I have lessened that risk from what it was by fitting alarms and until the law demands that all doors must be kept closed except when walking through them, they are chocolate teapots.

My question is what are the rules in respect of strips, not what does perfection look like.

Btw I don't recall the t&c of my insurance telling me that all doors must be closed else they won't pay out. Except for burglary, of course

As mentioned the rules go out the window when you start upgrading doors, it's down to what your inspector will accept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back