Door lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two problems:

1) The key doesn't always turn. Trying with the door open I find that when unlocking, the bolt does not fully withdraw (though enough to release the door), and only by pushing it fully in (see pisture 1) can the key then engage to re-lock.

2) So I decided to take the lock to a locksmith. Only to find the two retaining screws are (sorry: pun-alert) locked solid. Have tried WD40 but suspect they were put in years ago with a power driver, and I can't now get enough purchase on them.

1) can the lock be fixed?
2) any tips on geting the lock out?

Sponsored Links
Use a large handled, good quality, well fitting screwdriver. As a last resort use an impact driver with a screwdriver tip.

if you can get the lock out (you might have to drill the screw heads) you will doubtless be able to get a new lock to fit. I see your existing is a Legge BS deadlock. The Union BS deadlock in the red case came out very well in "Which" tests and is good value. Measure your old lock very carefully to see if it is an exact fit; if not, you can buy a new Legge like your old one which will slot straight back.

To see if it is the key that is faulty, try from the other side of the door. That will use a different set of bits on the key, but the same internal parts of the lock.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

Lots of WD40 + new heavier screw-driver released the screws. Lock removed.

I'd already tried several keys, from both sides, and they are all the same - sometimes work, sometimes the lock jams. As I say, pushing the bolt fully home then allows the key to engage, but of course that can only be done with the door open!

Will either take lock to locksmith for a replacement, or is online ordering safe? Cheaper? And if so which part do I measure toorder correct replacement.... :?:

UK BS locks vary little.

Measure the front to the back of the lock, will probably be about two and a half inches, but might be 64/65/66/67 mm. Look up your Legge one to find the spec.

Will be cheaper online
for example http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search/BS3621

You are especially interested in the distance from the middle of the keyhole to the front face. Probably about two inches. Different makes and ages will vary slightly. The same measurement will save you having to mover the keyhole.

Be sure to get a deadlock meeting the 2007 version of the British Standard. It will have a 20mm bolt throw.

Will either take lock to locksmith for a replacement,
Your lock is in good condition so I would take it to locksmith to change the lock settings with new keys then you'll know the lock will fit back in the door same as before, I always do this as it's normally a lot cheaper than replacing the whole lock

Thanks. Off to locksmith tomorrow.

But meantime I've searched online, and the lock seems not to exist!

It's very narrow. The Case width is 55mm and Legge only seem to do 64 or 76mm.

There are no markings of any kind on the lock itself - only on the seperate front plate that screws onto the door rim. I'm wondering if the plate does not reflect the lock inside? Should the lock itself have Legge written on it?

Also can't find any contact details for Legge, and the locksmith I called said "Sorry we're not allowed to provide contact detailsfor our suppliers" despite not stocking the lock I need :evil: grrrr

Yes the Legge 2in mortice lock is no longer made.
You should find that a TWH 2in mortice lock has the same dimensions. It does not meet the very latest British Standard 3621 but will be ok if you retain the Legge face plate.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Result!

Took the lock to locksmith who opened it up, fiddled a bit and squirted WD40, then re-assembeld.

I took home and replaced in door.

Lock works like a dream.

He didn't even charge me, just "Come back when you need extra keys."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back