Door mechanism removal Renault Clio Mark 3 2010

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sons door handle on the nearside passenger door of his 2010 Mark III Renault Clio has come loose to the point that I was able to extract the actual handle from the door. I removed the door card to access the door mechanism. I have removed the lock barrel and I can feel by inserting my hand up inside the door panel that the mechanism that operates the wire door release has come loose.
My problem is that I cannot find a way to remove the door lock mechanism assembly from inside the door so I can attempt to repair it or buy a new mechanism.
Can anyone help with how to remove this door lock mechanism from inside the door please?

Sponsored Links
Are there no screws to remove from the door edge, where the catch is?
The early locks would only come out when the window runners were removed, but I don't know on the mark 3.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John,
No, no screws. There is what appears to be a rivet but that's it. It is strange because I have found a YouTube clip of a guy who has removed the mechanism so it definitely comes out somehow!! He is just showing how the handle comes away from the mechanism and shows this with the mechanism off the car for clarity.
I have Renault Clio Workshop Manual that runs as a Virtual Machine on my PC and I was able to find and print off the removal and replacement drawings and instructions for the mechanism which I used to help me strip the door card off, with the removal of the speaker, door handle etc.. This gets to the details of removing the mechanism but having followed these instructions, it still won't come out !!!

At this point Joe, I think I'd have a word with the service manager at the local Renault dealer - I've always found them very helpful.
Sorry I can't be more so! If you do find a way, please post back.

OK, thanks for the advice John. I will report back with the outcome when I get a result.

Regards

Hi John,

OK, it's sorted !! The rivet I mentioned in an earlier post has to be drilled out !! As soon as that was drilled out the door mechanism came out. I can now see clearly how the mechanism works and what the fault is. There is a metal 'tumbler' with a shaft at each end and these shafts clip into a couple of plastic pivots. One of the pivots has worn and a bit has broken off so that end of the shaft pops out easily. The Part No. for this mechanism is 8200226524 and is called 'door mechanism Module G. It is about £15 apparently. I am off to the Renault Garage to see if I can get one. The Rivet needs to be replaced and the Part No. for that is 7703072052. Its about £1.20 !!
I find it amazing that a replaceable item such as this is riveted on !!! Why couldn't it have been designed so that it was secured with a screw!!?? I'll update when I have successfully fitted a new one.
Thanks for you help.
Regards

You have to guess that it's for ease of manufacture, and possibly a cost saving. When they're making millions of something any pence saved add up.
No thought at all of course about mending it later.

A door lock rivetted in :eek: Hell that's a new one on me......if I find rivets in a door, it usually shouts airbags!
Thanks for the update - I presume it's a pop rivet used?

Hi,

Ordered parts at Renault dealer. They will be in tommorrow.
Yes, 3mm pop rivet will be fine. I thought I would buy one from Renault so that I definitely get the right size even though I have a box full !!
By the way, before the door mechanism can be completely removed there is a cable (like a bike break cable) that unhooks from the mechanism. This cable goes to the release catch on the edge of the door.

You never stop learning and it's all good experience (even when your 68 !!!!)

At least my sons door should be fixed for when he comes home from University for the weekend on Friday !!

Cheers
Geoff
(LittleJoe is a nickname !!)

Hi,

Door all fixed and working !!! I re-assembled everything with the new mechanism, riveted the unit in place and put the door card back etc. and then found that the central locking would lock the door but wouldn't unlock it !!!! I had to strip it all down again and cleaned the connector contacts to the door lock solenoid with WD40. That solved that problem !!! All working fine.

Regards
Geoff

Hi joe, does that little white thing have a spring attached to it in the back? (Locking mechanism )
Basically the issue I have is the exterior handle became detachable, I have tried to put it back in place but it isn't working, the handle seems to be ok no broken bits on it. It's very hard to see it all as it's still intact.

Attachments

• 20191125_162147.jpg
    20191125_162147.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 313
Sponsored Links
Back