Door opening built to non standard door size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to keep a lid on it... have discovered the carpenter has formed a door opening 2040 high by 760 wide - imperial height metric width I assume :mad:

The door needs to be fire rated and eventually there will be a family of doors and was hoping to use a standard 1981x760 from somewhere like wickes.

Is it possible to reduce the height of the opening to suit the 1981 with an additional lining?

Walls have been plastered, door lining and skirting archi's in etc so don't really want to rip anything out.

Thanks

J

Sponsored Links
For a fire door you have no choice but to use a standard sized fire door they must not be (significantly) trimmed down or you can cut a fire rated 'door blank' down but these are just plain.

Sponsored Links
Did you question the carpenter [2040mm doors are readily available].

Not as yet and won't be held accountable for my actions!!!!

2040 doors are readily available but not at 760 width which are normally 1985 high, he has mixed his metric and imperial as I said.

The problem with cutting a fire blank is that my missus won't like it and won't match the other doors.

:cry:

Yes I know, that's why you'll either have to rip it out (you know that's the right thing to do) or have large architraves at the head. Or see what your dopey carpenter has to say for himself.

jonifife";p="2152456 said:
Did you question the carpenter [2040mm doors are readily available].

Not as yet and won't be held accountable for my actions!!!!

2040 doors are readily available but not at 760 width which are normally 1985 high, he has mixed his metric and imperial as I said.

2040 is a metric size.

? slightly confused by your comment foxhole-

I know 2040 is the metric but the width has been done to imperial size door (762mm in today's money)

? slightly confused by your comment foxhole-

I know 2040 is the metric but the width has been done to imperial size door (762mm in today's money)
I was confused by your original post stating metric width? imperial height.

Have spoken to the carpenter and at least he has agreed to put it right for nothing :eek:

He said he doesn't normally have to chop the bottom of door linings to make it fit and they normally come at the correct length for the door width.

The door door lining I got from wickes which has a reversible head to fit either a metric or imperial width so yes the length does need checking.

He is freelancing but used to working with a supervisor and guess some people work parrot fashion, at least he will have learnt from his mistake hopefully!

Still a bit undecided as if to drop the lining to the correct height (and then be left with making good of plaster) or to leave as is and pack out :rolleyes:

Have spoken to the carpenter and at least he has agreed to put it right for nothing :eek:

He said he doesn't normally have to chop the bottom of door linings to make it fit and they normally come at the correct length for the door width.

That's a first then. Can't think of one doorframe I've put in that didn't need cutting to height (even metric ones) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back