Door opening in or out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having opened up an 11" brick wall and made good for the door frame, I'm left with this predicament.....nothing serious but, I'd origionally planned on having the door open into the new bathroom. It was to open against the wall onto which was mounted the radiator which meant that it would not fully open 90degrees (if you see what I mean). Is there a right and wrong way for the door. Do I keep the frame close to the bathroom side of the hole in the wall or back towards the new passage side of the hole in the wall. Is it feasable to have the door opening into the new passage (which is a dead end and only formed to provide access to the bathroom)
Just wondering what are the thoughts of those in the know
Thanks............ Eric

Sponsored Links
if you want the door to open into the bathroom, then the casing rebate will need to be flush with the intended plaster finish to that room. similarly if you want the door to open into the landing/passage, then the casing rebate will be flush to the plaster finish to the landing.

the architrave is then fixed to the casing, sitting flush with the plaster.

selecting the way in which the door opens or swings is entirely down to economy of space or ergonomics. in most cases the door will open into the room and not back upon yourself into a passage.

it was once considered good taste to have the door cover the room and open so that it sheilded the occupants. nowadays doors are more likely to open directly onto an adjacent wall to save space.

Doors open into a room this s the establish way for a door to open since Noah was a lad. When doors open into a room a degree of privacy is achieved.

Check out this

Sponsored Links
To open a door out, such as a bathroom that would not have a vision panel fitted, could result in many accidents.

I lived many years in a house with an outward-opening bathroom door. The bathroom was so small, and the available space so limited that no other solution was possible.

My family and I never found it even slightly inconvenient, let alone dangerous.

Come to think of it, the house we're in now has three rooms with outward opening doors. I don't see why anyone would find it a problem.

Come to think of it, the house we're in now has three rooms with outward opening doors. I don't see why anyone would find it a problem.

H&S nutcases can find problems with just about anything xerxes, if you allow them to! :rolleyes: ;)

it is a matter of practical opinion and not fact, as to whether a door opens in or out.

unless it is an escape route with panic bars of course!

Our Cloakroom has outward opening door (6 year old house) as does my daughters bathroom (1 year old flat).

Reason -if someone has collapsed in the room their body does not prevent opening of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back