Door replacement advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Hoping someone can give me some guidance here as at the moment I'm very confused!

We have a porch, the external door is a UPVC door with a multipoint lock. The internal door leading to our living room is a wooden door with a 2 lever mortise lock and some dodgy looking glazing which we would like to replace. The door is a standard height and width, but 440mm deep.

I have a few questions:

• Should we be looking at doors classed as internal or external? Had assumed internal but the 440mm has thrown me - aiming to hang the new door in the existing frame if possible
  • Doors seem to come untreated. Is this standard? Is the treatment something you would usually do yourself?
  • Am I correct in saying a carpenter would hang the door and fit any locks?
Sorry for what are no doubt basic questions but this has me stumped!

Sponsored Links
You really want an external door, as it'll be much stronger than an internal one. Most doors come untreated, and you'll rub it down lightly, clean off any dust, give it two coats of water based primer/undercoat, and then at least 2 coats of top coat - make sure that you coat every surface, even under the hinges, otherwise it'll swell and shrink with the weather. And yes, a carpenter will do the fitting for you. Ring several to get quotes, and then check their work before you say yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back