Door rubbing after painting…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HALP!

Evening fellow disaster magnets, here is my latest conundrum, locksmith coming out this week to fit new locks, so I’m now in full on panic mode.

Old Victorian door renovation, lead paint, weeks of detail stripping and chemical burns, sanding, priming, painting, getting paint off the old hinges.

All done this weekend - phew, been a long project, but looking good.

Except….

The bottom of the door just below the hinge is now rubbing the frame when I close the door. It’s only a slight mm or so as it finally closes, but it’s going to annoy me…

Assuming the primer, two layers of undercoat, and three top costs of Weathershield has added a few mm to the door.

What’s the best option?

Shim the bottom hinge slightly to push the bottom of the door out?

Any thoughts on a quick fix, got locksmith coming and I want to sort before the new locks go on…..

Gotta love DIY weekends :(

Sponsored Links
Sand door or frame until not rubbing. If shimming works, why not? I vaguely remember from a youtube video, they used cardboard.

i shimed various doors after stripping back and painting properly - but i had taken them all off , so part of re-hanging process

i have a bucket of plastic shims 1mm / 2mm / 3mm etc which i just cut to size

in the past i used cardboard

Or you might shave under the hinges of the side you want to move in. And tighten them with larger screws.

Show some photos or sketches of the gaps round the door. See if a 5p or a 50p piece will fit all round.

I am very fond of lift-off hinges which make it very easy to remove and refit doors.

Sponsored Links
From your description, It sounds like the door is rubbing against the door stop (not frame) when you close it. If yes, plug the screw holes in the lower hinge (door frame side). I use matchsticks and super glue, then drill new holes 1.5mm or so away from the door stop, and re-screw.

Given that you stripped the door, the thickness of the paint you removed probably exceeds the new paint. Did you take the door off? Sometimes, when you re-hang doors, if you don't put the screws back in the order that they were fitted, the door will hang differently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back