Front door painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stripped all the old varnish of my front door yesterday(Saturday) and applied two coats of "Ronseal Super Flexible Primer and Undercoat" the paint went on well leaving a nice smooth finish.

I rubbed down with 240 grit after the 2nd undercoat had dried.

This morning (Sunday) I applied the first cost around 8:30 am of "Ronseal 10 Year Weatherproof Wood Paint" Leaving it 4 hours I then applied the 2nd coat. The 2nd coat is now touch dry but unfortunately it looks matt and very poor finish.

Will this be due to the way I applied the paint?

What is my best option now to get a high gloss finish on my door?

Sponsored Links
You should have left the second coat for at least 24 hours,

being Autumn to apply gloss finish after lunchtime is disaster, damp in the air will flatten gloss work
Give it a light rub down and apply the varnish in the Morning ( when the morning dew has gone :rolleyes:)

The Ronseal paint you used is water-based so wouldn't need to be left overnight. That said, cold or damp weather may still have contributed to the dull finish and the type of paint used also doesn't help - no current water-based glosses are anywhere near as shiny as their oil based cousins. You could try using a hybrid paint to get a better sheen, with quicker drying properties, but for a real high gloss finish, you either need an oil based paint or a lacquer system.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I also think it may be down to the paint - I did my front door a couple of weeks ago and before I chose my paint I read reviews online and the Ronseal 10 Year paint gets slated. Ronseal have even given people refunds coz it's bad. I ended up with a trade paint, oil based and apart from taking a long time to cure, its a lovely finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back