Door stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used a hot air stripper to remove paint from a door I have but there will seems to be some sticky bits on the wood. Is there any liquid I can use to remove before I prime the wood for painting?
Thanks
Oli

Sponsored Links
Do they smell 'wood like'?...it could be resin seeping from knots..ignre it and give it a good rub down

I removed all the paint and original varnish from the woodwork in my 100 year old house and the end result is well worth the effort. The varnish is a devil of a job to remove completly but we managed it with Nitromorse varnish remover. This is not however for the faint hearted. It is extremly caustic and will have your skin off in a few seconds so use some of those red industrial rubber gloves and a mask and goggles. I mean it, one splash in an eye and you are in real trouble.
We applied the stuff liberally with a brush and waited about 5 mins before using a rough grade of wire wool to remove the mixture of varnish and remover. You may need to do this a few times to get it all off.
We then used white spirit with fine wire wool ( 00 ) to remove the remnants of the nitromorse . Then a wash with soap and water to finish it off.
The result is bootiful pine panelling, 10"skirting, door architrave and dado rail.
Blooming hard work though. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back