Door transitions for laminate floor Dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed please.

I am doing a hallway roughly 3 mtrs by 2 mtrs which has 5 doorways leading off it.

The flooring I am using is a Square Tiled effect in a lightish Terracotta colour.

2 doorways lead onto a light oak laminate so oak transition strips would look great. Problem is the other 3 lead onto vinyl floorcovering.

Do I choose a silver coloured Transition Strip for all 5 doors which will at least match the door handles?

At a loss what to do. Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would recommend doing all the doorways in the same finish so they all match. Usually it's standard to fit the profiles that are the same colour of the hall way floor in all the doorways. If you are using a metal style of profile make sure it's suitable for laminate flooring and again, I'd fit all doorways with the same range.

It will look unbalanced but not 'wrong' with the doorways open and different colour profiles in different doorway's, it's the small details including things like this that can a) show up an installation as not thought out, b) generally suggests a slightly unproffesional finish and c) can indicate that if the profiles are'nt available to match the floor that the floor is poor/lower quality.

In short, go for the same colour throughout, and if the flooring range does not provide for all the different styles of profiles you need to finish the different levels, consider wether it's really of a quality you wish to lay in your home regardless of the price.

We get lot's of DIY'ers in our shop asking to buy a profile because the cheapo range they bought at the DIY superstore or on the net does'nt come with the profiles they need, they usually revisit within a few months with more questions as to why the floor is not performing to the levels they had expected.

good luck :)

Good advice. Thank you. Will do them the same colour. Another visit to the shop tomorrow to see if there are any to match the hallway flooring. If not it will have to be silver all through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back