Laminate to UPVC transition - same height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I am planning on laying laminate floor in the conservatory. I have a roughly 240 cm wide section where the new floor will meet the UPVC sill/trim of the sliding doors (that lead from the living room to the conservatory). The new floor and the trim will be the same level, but the trim has a bullnose edge. What kind of transition strip would you use here? Anything I can think of would look funny... Or just silicone/caulk...? (Though that wouldn't work if I leave a decent expansion gap.)

Many thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_1468.JPG
    DSC_1468.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1470.JPG
    DSC_1470.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
Usually you should lay perpendicular to the largest window in the room - this is visually the best.

You can get a matching bump trim (it clips into a channel installed on floor) but ultimately it's up to you.

You could use silicone. But, I find silicone sucks *****. So I would use hybrid polymer sealant.

If you can find a screw down strip in white, that might work. You could get a non-white and paint it. Depending on how heavily it is used, might need touching up from time to time. A strip will allow you a large expansion gap that might be needed depending on the size of the room. Cut out any protruding structure on the underside of the strip as necessary. A dremel can do that easily.

Last edited:
Thank you both!
Swwils: I was going to lay the floor in this direction, as this is how I laid it in all the other rooms, and I am using the same flooring throughout the flat, so I thought it might not look right if it runs in a different direction in this one room. The whole room is basically big windows all around, as it's a conservatory, so hopefully it will look rigth!
NutJob: thanks! A door strip / threshold might work, if I can find one that's 2.4m long, very flat (like the one you linked above - they look quite flat), and white. Though these tend to be for normal doors, and come in 90cm length. I definitely want to leave decent expansion gaps, as it's a conservatory and there can be huge changes in temperature (even in one day). The room is not big through, only about 9 m2. But still, better be safe than sorry!
The other thing I was considering was to get a strip that covers the whole UPVC sill, plus the expansion gap - essentially creating a new sill, something like this: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-White-Cloaking-Profile-95-x-2500mm/p/162625. This is thin enough, so the sliding door would still operate as normal, and I can make it look nice, seal at the ends and the long side where it will meet the door. The skirting would go on top of it too. As long as I can glue it down properly (maybe use UPVC pins too), it could work.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just to close down the thread (and because I hate when people ask questions and then don't share what solution they went with:D), I used a 6mm thick, 95mm deep UPVC cloaking profile (form Wickes) as a threshold (still needs siliconing where it meets the door). Not sure how durable it will be, as it's not designed to be used as a threshold, we'll see...

Attachments

• PXL_20240121_173755040.jpg
    PXL_20240121_173755040.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240121_173859256.jpg
    PXL_20240121_173859256.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 29

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back