1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Doorbell transformer for lighting application?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by JohnnyG, 23 Dec 2010.

1. JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Bit of a weird one this but can I use something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE753.html to power a light fixture which has 2x 8v 2w miniature candle bulbs in it?
    The existing one is knackered and the light manufacturers are shut until 4th Jan and even when they are open they take an age getting back to you.
    I don't fancy just trying it as the lamps are in the region of £40 each apparently :eek:

2. tonyelectric

tonyelectric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    2W they are small :eek: yes it should work with such small lamps, Freidland make bell pushes containing a small festoon lamp for illumination.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would advise first measuring the voltage coming out of the transformer. Although rated as 8 volts it might be higher than 8 volts.

Also these are seldom rated for continuous use ( in that the bell push is pressed continuously ) and may run hot if continuously supplying 4 watts of power.

Yes they will continuously power a small lamp in the bell push but that lamp is a lot smaller than 4 watts.

5. RF Lighting

RF Lighting

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You'd be better off with something like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK660095.html

You can set it to 7.5V. I'm sure half a volt won't make any really difference, and it has plenty of capacity for your lights.

It's a lot cheaper than a bell transformer too.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links