Doorbell transformer for lighting application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a weird one this but can I use something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VE753.html to power a light fixture which has 2x 8v 2w miniature candle bulbs in it?
The existing one is knackered and the light manufacturers are shut until 4th Jan and even when they are open they take an age getting back to you.
I don't fancy just trying it as the lamps are in the region of £40 each apparently :eek:

Sponsored Links
2W they are small :eek: yes it should work with such small lamps, Freidland make bell pushes containing a small festoon lamp for illumination.

2W they are small :eek: yes it should work with such small lamps, Freidland make bell pushes containing a small festoon lamp for illumination.

I would advise first measuring the voltage coming out of the transformer. Although rated as 8 volts it might be higher than 8 volts.

Also these are seldom rated for continuous use ( in that the bell push is pressed continuously ) and may run hot if continuously supplying 4 watts of power.

Yes they will continuously power a small lamp in the bell push but that lamp is a lot smaller than 4 watts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back