Doorbell transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I was hopeing someone maybe able to help me out here. My sister recently had her new house fitted with a new fuse box. Upon fitting the new fuse box the electrician removed the old doorbell because it wasn't earthed. Now this is a lovely old bell and I would like to try and get it up and running again. I have had a look at the transducer and there is no place for an earth to go. Just a live and negative terminal. Hopefully someone can help me out here.
Also the transformer had a 2 pin plug that looked like a shaver plug on it. What should show how old it was.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Often transformers don't need an earth. There are a number of icons used to show if it does not require an earth
60px-Double_insulation_symbol.svg.png
is the normal one also
60px-Schutzklasse_3.svg.png
there are others to show the transformer complies.

Door bell are normally 8, 16, or 24 volt AC and often you can get a transformer with tapping to select the voltage required.

A modern bell likely does not draw much current and may even be DC but the older bells often relied on the user not holding their finger on the button for long with a simple ding dong and could use a lot of current.

So step one is find out size required. Once that is found there are many transformers on the market. Personally not reconnecting door bell seems wrong.

Thanks ericmark

I will have a look on the transducer tomorrow and see if it has either of those signs on it. If it does will it be a simple case of fitting a 3pin plug?

Thanks for the quick help.

Hi, a picture of the transformer would be good, just incase it's very old or damaged and unsafe.

kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
That's a museum piece and should really be allowed to retire gracefully into someone's much-loved collection of electrical bric-a-brac.

Double pole fusing hasn't been used for about 70 years.

No strain relief on incoming live cable. No provision for outer sheath of cable to be protected into the enclosure. It looks like the enclosure has been drilled at the fuse ends which will make it not touch safe. Is there actually a top half to the enclosure?

It can easily be replaced with a modern bell transformer of appropriate voltage and wattage. The bell can be re-used as it is isolated from the mains by the transformer.

So basically I need a modern transducer and the bell should work fine? Sorry this is all new to me. And yeh it's a little on the old side, the wire that was being used just snapped when I tried to bend them to reach the fastening screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back