Doors, Frames and Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing two doors and both frames in an outside porch, but am uncertain on a couple of things. (three to be exact!)

Both doors will be hung on the left hand side of frames. How much gap is recommended for the lock side of door? I'm thinking about 3mm. Would that be enough do you think? Or is that too generous?

Also I'm not sure of the positioning of the hinges. There seems to be conflicting advice on this one. Does 6" from top of door to top edge of hinge sound right? And the same for the bottom. 6" from bottom to bottom edge of hinge?

Lastly, the doorsteps will be concrete with 20mm Oak on top. I don't have enough Oak to make the stops that run across the steps that the doors butt against. But I do have some Spruce as used for decking. Would that be hard enough to use in place of Oak stops, or should I buy in some hardwood?

Any advice welcome. :)

Sponsored Links
well the standard gap for a door is 2-3mm all the way round so i would say your ok on that score.

hinges should be 6" from the top and and 9" from the bottom of the door.
and then i usually measure from the bottom of the top hinge and top of the bottom hinge for the middle hinge.

if im reading this correctly,you havnt got a threshold cill with either a rebate or a weather bar???

if im reading this correctly,you havnt got a threshold cill with either a rebate or a weather bar???

Thanks for the advice.

The doors I'm replacing only have two hinges on them. They are fairly lightweight as they are only 24" wide. Glass panel with wood frames.

It seems I haven't used the correct terms when describing the last issue. I'm replacing what was already there, and I'm not really familiar with the part names!

The step as I've called it, is the threshold cill it would seem. It spans the width of the frame measuring about 100mm x 45mm x 670mm.

Across this threshold cill runs a piece of wood 30mm x 20mm x 670mm. I guess this is called the weather bar?

It's this last piece, the weather bar I need advice on. Do you think a piece of spruce normally used for decking would be ok?

Many thanks. :)

should be?but bear in mind that if traffic steps on it it will wear out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back