Hanging an Internal door with 18" T-hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK can anyone give me a heads up on where I'm supposed to fit 18" T hinges to on the door frame?

I'm assuming not on the door lining, which makes me think recessing the T part of the hinge into the architrave. BTW door is ledged and boarded with hinges fitted to the boarded side.

I'm working with Oak and really don't want to muck this up or my life wont be worth living.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo TiredofDIY and welcome :D :D :D :D

i have hung several internal stable doors that i have made and this is the way i instaled them

the best way is to remove the architrave hang door then refit architrave if its varnished/polished wood rebate the architrave over the hinges

if its painted you can either rebate or fill in the 1.5mm gap

this of course assumes there is enough "meat" for the hinge to screw into

may be more difficult as you are using 18" hinges all mines where on 12" t hinges

Have you considered using hinge fronts? These look like a tee hinge, but they are in effect only the visible part, allowing you to hang the door on butts which are stronger and have a smoother action than a 'real' t hinge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back