Doors sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a couple of doors a year old are sticking in the top third , I want to tighten up the screws but they won't as they turn when tightened, what size long screws should I buy to try to tighten everything up
thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you have wooden doors and frames?

Are these internal doors, or external ones subject to rain or damp?

Is there a regular gap all the way round the door, and is it about 4mm, or is it different top, hinge side, lock side?

Please show photos of
The whole door and frame to give an idea what sort it is
The rubbing part where the door hits the frame (door shut and open)
The hinge and its screws (close up)
Is your door 35mm thick, or 44mm?

If it is an hinges problem, try removing one screw at the time, push a piece of superglued bamboo skewer into the hole, wait a couple of minutes and reinsert the screw.
They should go tight.
If the door still rubs, you'll need to plane it a bit where needed.
If the skewer trick doesn't work, you'll need to remove the door, drill 8mm where the screw holes are and glue dowels in there.
Then pilot drill into the dowels with 2mm bit and reinstall.

Longer screws may (or may) not help. The door liner may only be 25mm thick. However, a longer screw may help if it is a timber stud wall and the screws can reach the timber studs. If it is brick wall, a longer screw might hit the brickwork and not go any further.

I would do pretty much what @johnny2007 has recommended.

Sponsored Links
It's no good trying to tighten the hinge screws if the hinge won't move back in the hinge recess!

Or moving the top hinge back and then finding the door is out of square in the frame.

Look at the gap around the door and frame. If the hinge side has enough to move back, then reseat the hinge. Otherwise, take a bit off the door where its binding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back