Doorway in load-bearing wall: Building Notice application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to create a new doorway between my dining room and kitchen to enable a better kitchen layout. The wall is load-bearing and the new opening will be a standard single-door width.

Having made a casual enquiry to my local Building Control Office I have been told that I will need to make a building regs application and pay £223.20 inc VAT. I've found the form and guidance notes on their website, but have a few questions.

As, I believe, this would fall under a Builing Notice application they have a short checklist of things I need to include:

1) 2x location plans (presumeably not relevant in this case??)
2) 2x plans (I was going to give a brief description of the works at an earlier part of the form, detailing the lintel to be used etc - will this suffice or do i need to include more formal plans?)
3) 2x structural calculations (given the small nature of the opening, do i need to obtain these?)

Having looked at the fees listings, I can't see a specific category this would fall into other than 'Other work less than £5k'. Does that sound about right?

If it helps, I'm referring to Wealden District Council

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

alp

Sponsored Links
Apologies for bringing up an old'ish thread and you (OP) may have already dealt with it.

Location plans aren't essential for building control. If you have one, there's no harm in submitting it. If not, then need not to worry. I never have... apart from when I use an approved inspector.

You could just draw up basic existing and proposed plans as you're only forming a new opening. As the wall's load bearing, you may be asked for structural details/calculations justifying the proposed beam(s).

Those kind of works wall fall under the "estimated cost of work" category so in your case, go for the lowest bands, which as you say is for works under £5k.

No plans or location plans are required for a building notice application

No calculations are needed for a standard lintel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back