Dormer dwarf/stud wall insulation - confirmation/advice (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve been working to insulate the eaves / void area of my semi detached 1970s dormer. The area won’t be used for storage so I’m insulating the dwarf/stud wall and 1st floor/ground floor ceiling (rather than the rafters).

The wall is foil faced plasterboard on 75mm studs. I understand that the foil acts as a vapour control layer so where missing or damaged I’ve patched with foil tape or plastic sheet. Between the studs I’ve added 75mm rock mineral wool batts, seen in the pictures.

The space is very drafty from the eaves, feeding into between the rafters above the wall (which will remain open). I plan to further improve the insulation by adding a layer of 75mm celotex insulation board. We’ve already done the most difficult (narrowest) area under the window and plan to do same for the the remaining area.

Cabling has been routed through trunking to prevent overheating.

I’m wondering if I’ve made / am making a mistake in fully encasing the studs in insulation though. I read elsewhere that timbers need to breathe. I have the vapour control layer, but if any moisture gets through, it won’t be able to escape as celotex is not permeable, though rock wool is.

If I fully surround them, is there a condensation risk?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 1,479
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 554
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 714
  • dormer.jpg
    dormer.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 523
Sponsored Links
Dis you ever get an answer?

I'm planning to do something similar - adding PIR to the back of the studs will be much easier than cutting to fit between the studs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back