Dot and dab in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of taking out an old kitchen which is tiled floor to ceiling.

I'm planning to take the tiles off, dot and dab with 12.5mm boards, install the units and then just tile the splashbacks.

Are there any particular considerations regarding any of the d+d related materials for use in a kitchen?

Sponsored Links
No, but you might want to make sure that where the wall unit brackets fit, it has board adhesive behind the board. I always skim and never tile onto plasterboard, come to retile in the future, you will knacker the boards trying to get the old tiles off.

Thanks. This is what the surface is looking like under the tiles.

Is dot and dab the way to go? Do I need to get the old paint off the surface first? (would rather leave it alone, as much as possible, in case it's lead based)

H8fRliGh.jpg

If the paint is properly stuck to the wall and can’t be easily scraped off it will be fine. Plasterboard adhesive is the stickiest stuff known to mankind.

Sponsored Links
Scrape the tiles off and use plasterboard foam to stick the boards tight to the existing plaster.

Thanks. The paint is pretty flaky, but I wondered if there was enough bare plaster for good adhesion.

I'm also starting to wonder if the surface is actually good enough to tile on, without much repair (there will be wall cupboards, so I will only be tiling the splashback). The thing with plasterboard is that it would neatly encapsulate the whole wall (and paint).

k1QQcKSl.jpg

dYhdM4dl.jpg

vVJlDx1l.jpg

fIpOShQl.jpg

Foam adhesive will stick easily to that kind of surface.
Consider insulation under if any are external walls .

If it’s all gonna be covered by cupboards and the only bit exposed is gonna be a tiled backsplash you might be just as well leaving as is. Fill any big holes and if it’s fairly flat you’ll be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back