Dot and dab screw hole damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a curtain rail on a dot and dab wall. It was installed by the previous owners using plasterboard fixings. Recently my son managed to "accidentally" pull the whole thing off the wall, which has caused so minor damage to the holes that the fixings were in. The plasterboard is sound, but the holes are at least 12mm now.
I'm wondering what the best solution is here for a simple and string fix so I can put the curtain rail up in the same place. I was thinking of filling the dot and dab void and then using a standard rawlplug. If this works, what do people recommend as a filler? Otherwise, can anone recommend a different solution?

Sponsored Links
Fill holes with toupret power filler.
Got any wood glue? 50/50 with water and apply to hole will seal before filling, although not necessary but I normally do.
Using 3 screws and polymer grab stick some wood along above window.
Fix brackets to that.

People tug on curtains and plasterboard won't take it

Thanks. I've never used Toupret before, but it looks like a good option. The other thing I was considering was resin but I'm not sure that is necessary. Someone else suggested Gripfill, but it's a bedroom and I'd like my son to be able to breathe.
Batten isn't a good option for various reasons in this particular space, but it is often one of my go tos for this sort of problem.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
You might succeed to not use a batten if you can drill through the plasterboard repair, Dot n Dab and into the wall about 40/50mm. Then use screws that are at least 60mm long to fix the curtain rail to the wall.

The screws supplied with most items to be fixed to a wall are rarely long enough to pass through the wall finish (D&D, Plasterboard,Plaster - 12 to 25 mm thickness) to fix in the wall structure (Bricks or blocks).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back