Dot and Dab - Sufficient for poor quality plastered walls ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Having recently stripped walls for re-decoration in my living room, I have realised that the walls are going to require some attention before I can move forward with the decorating phase.

FYI, the house is a 1950 solid wall construction known as Wimpey No-Fines. The plasterwork I believe is the original plaster job, and hence partly the reason for it now starting to falter, (i guess 60 years of service isn't bad) :D

In many places the finishing coat of plaster has flaked off, and there are patches of plaster work that have been already done, in places around this particular wall. However the other 3 walls in the room seem pretty good in comparison, and probably just some minor patching and sanding will give reasonable results.

I have removed most of the loose and 'hollow sounding' plaster from the wall in question, although have not removed all of the plaster. There are some areas where this is still sound / good, and not about to fall off completely. My plan would be to dot and dab plasterboard with drywall adhesive on the wall as it is now, tape the joints and then to fill the feather edged joints with easi-fill, followed by sanding, ready for gypsum coving / skirting and then decorating.

Is this a feasible plan of action ? Would this be a recipe for disaster ? Would the adhesive stick OK to the original plasterwork ? Should this be prepared with PVA first ?

Would it be a better idea to use a timber frame 3" x 2" for this purpose, rather than adhesive to wall ? (i would prefer to dot and dab, purely to save the time in knocking up a frame, cost of timber, and also to keep the extra couple of inches of room space. However if the original idea is flawed then perhaps this would be the best option ? )

I don't of course wish to be re-doing this same job again next year :)

I understand that re-plastering would be the best option, but on my current budget, and timescale, I am looking at these other options.

Your responses would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

smileymiley.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Yeah dotting and dabbing over the top will work and yes the wall needs pvaing first.
make sure you use plenty of dots 4 rows per 4 foot wide board or 3 rows per 3 foot board and about every 200mm vertically. you will also need a solid row across the bottom of the board to aid fixing the skirts. make sure all the joints are well supported as this is where any movement in the board will crack your easi fill. before filling and sanding the joints use a fibreglass skrim tape on all th board joints.
matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back