Dot and Dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to use Bonding Plaster to stick plaster board to a wall that has had tiles removed from.

I have a small wall in my kitchen and have a bag of bonding plaster left over. :confused: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use bonding coat personally I use multi finish or joint filler, more sticky and gives a better hold. Even an instant grab adhesive from a tube works ok if the wall surface is sound.

Roughcaster.

I've used bonding with no probs it works fine. But for the cost of a bag of dry wall adhesive I'd always go for that unless it's an emergency.

Sponsored Links
and no more nail from a tube :LOL: :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

whoareya use plasterboard adhesive everytime

thats what proper spreads use.

:idea: coving and panel adhesive (from tubes) hold up 3m lengths of coving so why not PB? for arguments sake!!

Thanks for all the feedback,

To be on the safe side, I decided to get a bag of plasterboard adhesive.

What a great bunch you are.

:D

no spread i know would ever dream of using grab adhesive to dot n dab a wall.

if your interested in doing it properly use to correct stuff. plasterboard adhesive.

no spread i know would ever dream of using grab adhesive to dot n dab a wall.

if your interested in doing it properly use to correct stuff. plasterboard adhesive.

I don't think roughcaster was suggesting you'd dot and dab a whole house with gripfill!

I've often stuck heads with gripfill, especially steel lintels, and reveals with multi or board finish.

You try stcking a square of board onto a wall with multi and then pulling it off after a week.

Drywall adhesive is best for dot and dabbing, but when you only need to stick a few reveals in a house before floating it, no problems using a bit of finish if you have a pallet of it sitting outside!!

I don't think anyones trying to suggest using the wrong materials but lets not forget this is a DIY site and whilst the 'pros' comments are accurate and extremely helpful, some people who ask the questions just want a quick fix solution.

There is more than one way to do a job - however if you are getting paid for it there is no excuse to cut corners!!!!

Anyway well 'whoareya' for using the right stuff!

Whoa Guys,
This is not about"dot and dab"as per say using Gripfill,multi,etc. Do you think i'm stupid? (Don't answer that).If you refer back to the original post,it was about "sticking" plasterboard to the surface of one wall in a kitchen after the tiles had been removed. Probably,the wall surface,although covered in old tile adhesive would have been intact. On the odd small wall such as this,"sticking" p/board to this kind of surface with say "Sticks Like Sh*t", Gripfill or a similar adhesive works fine, as would/does "sticking" p/board on the same prepared/roughened wall surface with multi etc. Different stuff to drywall adhesive,but on the odd small wall,now and again, if multi's what you have at the time, it does the job without a problem.. It'll take some pulling off. You'll break the p/board first.

Roughcaster.

fellas, i was in no way suggesting anyone on here does not know they are on about. maybe my comments were taken out of context they were meant to b a bit tongue in cheek.

all's i am sayin is that gripfill will stick coving up and multi will hold board and be quite strong (esp gripfill) but i have always thought of these as shortcuts or temp fixings and i would always use and advise people to use the correct methods.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back