Dot & Dab or plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, very new to the forum but as a DIY novice I will probably be bugging you all quite a bit. My project at the moment is converting the rear 2/3 of my garage into a store/utility room. I have already put in place the stud wall and raised the floor (when I say I, I do mean my father in law). I would really love to tackle the next phase myself.

Basically, I now have four walls, one of which is a stud wall and the other three are single block/brick. There are no outside walls. My question is, should I dot and dab the walls and then plaster or can I just directly plaster onto to block/brick. I understand that I must PVA the walls etc but not sure if I can go straight on with plaster. The room is only for storage/freezer/washing machine etc and so the finish does not have to be fantastic (a good thing if I am doing it) and I also see it as a way to learn a few things before I let myself loose on my house.

Sorry about the long post!

Thanks

steve

Sponsored Links
You can dot and dab or plaster the 3 brick/block walls the choice is yours.If the walls are painted you will have to pva them before you plaster as the plaster will not stick to paint. On the dot and dab walls scrim all joints before you skim them. :) S/S

Why dont you just paint all the walls board your studded wall easi-fill the joints sand them in and paint that aswell. You say, " the finish doesn't have to be fantastic" so if you aren't that worried do as I say. If you want an opportunity to learn how to plaster then dot and dab the three walls board the stud wall as said and look at the advice for skimming on these forums... Good Luck the choice is yours.....

Thanks for the advice, some very helpful ideas. Am I correct in my understanding that plasterboard walls only need to be "skimmed"? I assume this is easier that plastering. I will look for some posts.
If I do decide to dot and dan the walls and practice, do I still need to use the metal edging on the outward edges befor I skim? , I do have 2 of these to consider. (sorry cant remember the name of that stuff)
Thanks
steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back