Dot & dab over bonding plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have have used bonding plaster over the artex walls in my toilet and plan to skim it with multi finish,
but one of the walls is out of plumb (old house) before I started and is still out of plumb,
but is better than when I started which would not really be noticeable once painted,
but the missus wants the bottom half of the wall tiled and this would reveal the wall not being plumb,
Ie, the edging on the top row wouldn't be flat against the wall mostly at the centre of wall and would be very noticeable, 8mm in places,
So I am looking at plaster boarding over the bonding plaster.
I have applied pva on it, but was then wondering if the dry wall adhesive would stick to this.
I don't want to take it down to brick as the old plaster on that wall is solid, so dry wall seemed the next option.
I would rather use the 9.5mm board because its a small space, but have heard 9mm is a bit flimsy and to use 12.5mm instead, what do you think?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard adhesive will stick to your bonding coat, pva is good.

I sometimes use 9.5 mm plasterboard for window reveals if one side it out, it is more flimsy than 12.5mm.
With enough plasterboard adhesive used, it won't really matter how thick the board is.

I've dot and dabbed over the bonding OK with Pva to seal.

Wedi washers and screws for mechanical fixing I've used as well if any worry about how well the wall base is. Artex that was painted can de laminate and some artex is very soft. Just being over cautious

1 more question I will be using one and a half sheets of plasterboard, will one 25kg bag of drywall adhesive be enough.
Thanks for all reply's, very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how bad the walls are ;) you should be ok with aboard and a half.

Buy two bags, from B&Q and you should be able to return unused bags.
I part overheard a conversation in the Queue at Wickes, you can't return adhesive... not sure if this is correct... so ask first.

i’d remove the bonding and artex and see what’s left . possibly board over the original plaster/cement.
but that’s just me.

I was thinking of removing artex but its been on the toilet walls before we moved and that was 20 years ago,
so I was thinking of worst case scenario asbestos and decided to bond it instead, but the walls are still out of plumb,
so I am going down the plasterboard route, it means I will lose approx 20mm each wall as I will not be going back to brick,
but it will keep the missus happy.

Thanks again everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back