dot & dab -v- traditional plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having a single storey rear extension built at the moment. I know the builder is intending to use D&D, as opposed to traditional plastering. I'm not keen on D&D for a few reasons;
1. It doesn't feel very solid
2. I've got to fit kitchen units to it (or through it!)
3. Poor air tightness (equals poor thermal performance)
4. It reduces the size of the room (admittedly not by that much, but 'every little helps')

I would like to convince him to traditionally plaster the extension. I imagine he wants to use D&D because it is quicker/cheaper. So I don't get stung, can anyone give me an idea in the difference in price per sq m for the two methods?

Ta

Sponsored Links
Hi,
You are the customer,you tell him what you want to be done.I have no idea of the difference in the price per sq.metre for each method.

Roughcaster.

d&d can be marginally more thermally efficient than traditional float & set plastering.

it is cheaper and less messy to d&d, and a trained monkey can fit and skim this type of application.

your builder may have to pay big money to find trained spreads to apply a float and set type of plaster, as a lot of the site boys simply cannot or have not ever done float and set plastering.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

You are are absoloutely right RC, I am the customer, so I shouldn't be afraid to spec what I want (but I feel like I'm being a pain the bum!).

Considering your advice Noseall, a plasterer lives in the street who has done work at other neighbours (good quality). I could always get him to do it if the builder can't sort it.

It would be useful to know the unit cost for D&D in case I need to get it knocked off the final price (any helpers?). Would they carry SPONS or similar in the local reference library? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back