dot dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

just a quick qestion plz.

the thing is im doingmy brothers bathroom instalation tiling and plumbing. basically the full works my query is.

the type of tile he has choosen. are ceramics but compared to other ceramic tiles quite heavy. the tiles are 1 and a half feet long one way and one foot the other. there approx9mm thick.

the thing is i just had an agument with the lady from topps tiles where he bought them for about dot dabbing. we phonedto arrange the ready mixbuckets to be returned and changed for fast set tile addehise in the powder from. as i have been advised by someone who i know and trust (hes a tiler) to not actually spread the adhesive as normal. but rather dot dab the tiles on to the wall. lmao the womman at tops said tiles where never to be dot dabbed.

but with the knowlegde of afew tiling jobs under my belt lol and im good i do know that with the large tiles adhesion to the full tile on such a large tile would be hard to achive.

sorry about the long story but has anyone any advise for me plzas i am hoping to start tiling tommorow lol thats saturday

Sponsored Links
First off, for tiles of that size, your walls need to be very flat or you're going to have problems.
Secondly, you don't dot and dab tiles. Dot and dabbing leaves tiles suceptable to cracking if impacted. Also, by reducing the adhesive contact area it increases the weight/area of adhesion figure, so that you risk the tiles pulling the surface layer of the wall off. For example, plasterboard can hold 32kg per square metre assuming 100% contact of adhesive. If you start dot and dabbing, you still have the same weight of tiles but the contact area has been drastically reduced - maybe your contact area would only be 20%. So the weight the plasterboard could now support would be 20% of 32kg per square metre (6.4kg). You follow?

i was going to ask the same question, as ive noticed some guy do the same on a job im about to take over.

thanks gcol

Sponsored Links
As long as the tiles are not going on the floor you can dot and dab them. If they go on the floor you will need to use the toothed trowel so as not to leave voids underneath.

Robbie uk said:
As long as the tiles are not going on the floor you can dot and dab them. If they go on the floor you will need to use the toothed trowel so as not to leave voids underneath.
You're talking total nonsense mate.

Robbie uk said:

i took 7 tiles off the wall that had been "dot dabbed" about 3 weeks ago and they came of riduculasly easy, and as gcol has said spreading the weight over the surface area makes a lot more sense.

also i wouldnt imagine drilling would be too good, if you drill a hollow spot you got a better chance of cracking the tile.

Gcol... thousands of posts.... always on the money... robby uk 5 posts.

Trust who you like!

Dob and Dab is a shortcut, and is old time bodging.

I have been advised not to get rapid set for the walls, Single part flexi is what I have.

You are not a pro, how fast can you work?

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back