Dot'n'dab below damp course - good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To fix a bit of ply along a wall base, prior to dry lining so that there's something decent behind the plasterboard to screw skirting to later.

Do red bricks just crack if you drill the right size hole and put conc. screws in? Or would it be better to put them in to a mortar course?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just lay a continuous bead of adhesive along the bottom of the plasterboard and use that to fix the skirting to

not normal practice.
as stated, board the wall and bond your new skirting to it.

not normal practice.
as stated, board the wall and bond your new skirting to it.

I never bond skirting to walls. I use screws, so that whoever has cause to remove it doesn't curse my mother for bearing me.

Base of wall has 3 brick courses below damp course. The btm course can be disregarded because the flooring will be there, but the 2 courses above that? Is it normal to put plasterboard adhesive on brick courses below the damp course? Or is it ok to just leave the btm 130mm plasterboard without adhesive - no bridge from back of plasterboard to bricks below damp course?

Or I could run shuttering type ply, marine with plastic coating, along the 2 problem courses.

Attachments

• DSC03065.JPG
    DSC03065.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
so your internal dpc will be 8” higher than the floor level inside?

so your internal dpc will be 8” higher than the floor level inside?

Yes.

I added an image. Changed thread title..

The surface of the car port base that's being domesticated is lower than the floor level of the house. For various reasons the finished floor level will be approx. top of lowest brick course. I could have been clearer earlier on,

Last edited:
your ply idea will still transport moisture in.
you could batten it out with 2x1 and a dpc behind the batts at the bottom.
or raise the floor level inside with a false floor.
or tank the 2 courses of brickwork below dpc .

your ply idea will still transport moisture in.
you could batten it out with 2x1 and a dpc behind the batts at the bottom.
or raise the floor level inside with a false floor.
or tank the 2 courses of brickwork below dpc .

Or rip something from some nice dry ply that I have kicking about. New batten will shrink as it dries out. DPC behind is good.

Either way takes us back to my original thread header - how to fix batten to wall? Do I avoid bricks and drill a mortar course for conc. screws?

Last edited:
Or rip something from some nice dry ply that I have kicking about. New batten will shrink as it dries out. DPC behind is good.

Either way takes us back to my original thread header - how to fix batten to wall? Do I avoid bricks and drill a mortar course for conc. screws?
i’d fix to the brick

Ok, one last thing, when spread says fix boards to batten, does he mean with screws or plasterboard adhesive? Adhesive would give useful tolerance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back