Dotting & Dabbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To anyone experienced in plastering - is "dotting & dabbing as outlined here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/diy/diy_guide/factsheets/16.shtml the easiest way to get a good finish on an exposed brick wall?

I am faced with a wall about 50% of which has loose blown render and I have taken this off to expose the brickwork underneath. I am in a dilemma as to try and apply a render over the brickwork & keep the original render & plaster or should I chip the remaining firm render & plaster off and start from scratch?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
All depends how you much you want to do and decorate the walls afterward.If you're going tiles it then I say dotting & dabbing with plasterboards which is quite easy to do as it give a flat smooth finish and ready to decorate straight away but having said that, the bath,sink & toilet cistern would have to be taken out as the plasterboards need to go behind and skim it if you're going to paint/wallpaper the walls.If the original render & plaster is okay then unibond & re-plaster the walls which will take longer to dry.Failing that,chip the remaining firm render & plaster off and start from scratch.It can be messy if you're not experience with plastering and wouldn't be able to decorate straight away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back