Double boarding garage ceiling - edge detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi

I'm double boarding the ceiling that separates my internal garage from the bedroom above. As per the approved plans I'm double boarding in 12.5mm with staggered joints.

How should I finish the edges where the boards meet the wall? In some cases I can get the boards tight up against the wall so there's limited scope for pink foaming or sealing in place, so I'm wondering whether I should leave then 5mm from the edge and then apply Intumescent Sealant or pink foam?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tight to the walls and the intumescent mastic after skimming. Not foam.

I've never thought it would be, as then you then have the paper backing exposed to flame.

It might be best to check with British Gypsum, Knauf or Lafarge etc.

Sponsored Links
I'll have a look at their website.
I've never thought it would be, as then you then have the paper backing exposed to flame.

It might be best to check with British Gypsum, Knauf or Lafarge etc.

I'll have a better look when I'm not on a phone but it seems okay on the face of it :

The fire resistance and sound insulation performances are for imperforate partitions, walls and ceilings incorporating boards with all joints taped and
filled, or skimmed according to British Gypsum’s recommendations. The quoted performances are achieved only if British Gypsum and Saint-Gobain Isover
components are used throughout, and the Company’s fixing recommendations are strictly observed. Any variation in the specifications should be checked
with British Gypsum.
To establish the maximum cold state h

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back