double check valve - noise & screw

Could he not get rid of the non return entirely or am I missing sOmething.
replace with a single check :idea: . I`m not sure why doubles are used there :confused: I thought they were for wholesome water backflow protection - on hoses etc.

Sponsored Links
Could he not get rid of the non return entirely or am I missing sOmething.
replace with a single check :idea: . I`m not sure why doubles are used there :confused: I thought they were for wholesome water backflow protection - on hoses etc.

I don't think I will find a single valve of the same length as double one. And I do not want to cut/extend the pipes so I think I will stick to a new double valve... Though, got a bathroom renovation going on just now so this will have to wait for a few more days.

Anyway, thanks a lot for you answers everyone!

Whilst the test point can be used to drain the valve ( if fitted facing down ! ) the real point as Chris says is as a test point to comply with the water regulations in many applications when a double check is required.
DIA should have remembered that.

I would always fit a NRV on the hot OUTPUT from the boiler and not on the inlet. That can prevent damage within the boiler by expansion.

You can convert a double into a single by removing one plunger ( or by withdrawing its spring ).

Tony

[...]

I would always fit a NRV on the hot OUTPUT from the boiler and not on the inlet. That can prevent damage within the boiler by expansion.

[...]

I thought fitting NRV on OUTPUT from boiler is not recommended anymore therefore on the INPUT?

Sponsored Links
Why did you think that?

I will argue that it increases the likelyhood of damage inside the boiler!

Tony

I agree.. therefore the need for a mini expansion tank on DHW (that I do not actually have ;)

To be honest, I do not remember just now where I found the recommendation on inlet NRV. But I agree it would make more sense to have it on the outlet, though I'm just an DIY person not a pro...

But, my boiler installation instruction do say that in some circumstances NRV might be required and it should be fitted on inlet... again, there is no justification of it :D

Most plumbers would fit it on the inlet.

But then most plumbers dont think about the technicalities ( or in many cases even have the basic scientific knowedge as they left school at 16 without taking/passing any science A levels ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back