Double Check Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my old stop cock repositioned. When I had a look at the work, a double check valve has been installed directly after the stop cock. Is this normal?

I ask as it's making quite an annoying vibrating sound whenever any tap is on in the house. So I'm wondering if the plumber needs to replace with a better quality valve, or is it even necessary in the first place?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not compulsory on the whole house supply, can cause problems if you have a combi boiler.

Can fall under local bylaws, certain boards require a double check valve after the stop tap to protect the mains, especially in flats or premises on a shared main. It's good practice to have them fitted IMO, especially as there are now more and more 'illegal' fittings/outlets being attached to the mains in some properties.

If it's chattering then time to replace, the valves/channels inside do wear.

If it’s recent then ask the installer why it’s required, as above, could be a regulation set by the local water undertaker. Make sure the arrow is pointing the correct way, as valve could be faulty and fitted incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
As post #2, can cause problems with combi boilers, especially if they have a preheat function and can cause the PHE to fail due to over pressure, some maunufactrers stipulate that a expansion vessel be installed.

Can fall under local bylaws, certain boards require a double check valve after the stop tap to protect the mains, especially in flats or premises on a shared main. It's good practice to have them fitted IMO, especially as there are now more and more 'illegal' fittings/outlets being attached to the mains in some properties.

If it's chattering then time to replace, the valves/channels inside do wear.
Ah! Yes it's an old 1920s ex-council house with shared mains. So that sounds like the likely reason.

However - It's brand new, so it won't be worn out yet.

Could be the stopcock then?
Well I mean - Both stop cock and check valve are brand new. And I presume the check valve has moving parts and more likely to make sound. Plumber will be having a look anyway, I just wanted a little more information to arm myself incase he fobs me off with "they all do that".

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Well I mean - Both stop cock and check valve are brand new. And I presume the check valve has moving parts and more likely to make sound. Plumber will be having a look anyway, I just wanted a little more information to arm myself incase he fobs me off with "they all do that".
Ahh right, assumed it was old since you said:
I've had my old stop cock repositioned.
With no mention of it being new :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 85

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back