Double Dimmer watt help!!!! ( and outsite shed help)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

1)

I am adding a total new low voltage circuit in my Kitchen/conserv. well the total watts is about 340w, I am using the crabtree flat plate range, they rate at 250w max... what can I do? as this is for a low voltage setup do the same rules apply, 250max ( I have seen some 400w double dimmers could i change the parts over, as I really like the crabtree as the are flat with no screws on the front at all

2) also some people recommend different size cable, between the transformer and the light... what is the standard for this?

3) I also have a shed, well it is part brick and is bolted on to the side of the house, well I am going to get someone in to add a new consumer unit, and will need to power this shed, it will run power tools and lights.

what id the best setup for this, run 2.5 32a ring main to it and run it of the unswitched site of the new split load C/U and add a small unit in the shed? or run a radial, it is around 10M to the shed so size and cost would be important......... im well broke ( X and taking to the cleaners last month!)

Thank you

Darren

Sponsored Links
1) NO!

2) depends on current draw / length of run

3) separate cu in shed (try a search)

depending on several factors, on of which is length, a 6mm² / 10mm² SWA submain from 40A breaker on none RCD side of house CU, to a small CU in the shed, RCD as main switch, 32A breaker for a ring, 6A breaker for lighting, any other circuits as required

Thank you Adam, yes it would be about 9M to the shed, and there would be about 4 sockets in there, nothing real heavy to run, NO freezer in there! so you say 6mm Radial, then a Mini CU, I have wired the sockets in a ring in there, so that should be fine.

Thank you for the reply, its nice to find someone helpfull, any good advise is needed, and if you can throw some light on the dimmer question?

Darren

Sponsored Links
darren7 said:
and if you can throw some light on the dimmer question?

Darren

was that punn intended?

what makes you think you can take the guts from dimmer brand a and put it into dimmer brand b?

each dimmer is designed for a specific job, to swop guts over means

a, may not fit
b, not enough air to cool dimmer
c, you invalidate waranty
d, asking for trouble

OK,

The Crabtree has a red dimmer on the rear, the platinium rage is very pricy, looking closly and the Read rear, It is made by MEM, and it has been covered up by pen! to hide the brand... all the ones in the shops and screwfix ones are the same.... cant see a problem placing a MK 400w on the rear, in a deep box, but maybe im wrong.

Also does the output cables from the transfomer have to be kept away from mains? I think I may have read this somewhere?

also what is the best way to join 6 lv tranformers, as they do not have loop out, looking to run 1 per light in the front room, a spark told me this is best, easy access when they blow......just a normal junction box?

and Breezer about the garage does this sound all ok what I said please.

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back