double electric oven installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to change from a single electric oven to double - there is a gas hob. The house is a couple of years old, and has the new fangled wiring. The oven does not appear to have its own elec supply, it seems to be on the same supply as the downstairs sockets. Am I able to just change the single oven for a double ? I always thought that you should have a dedicated electricity supply for an electric cooker. Is this new wiring different ?

Sponsored Links
The reason the old oven is on the downstairs sockets is because it is a single oven, and only has one element rated less than 3KW (13A). Plugs are rated at 13A, so it can be plugged in.

The double oven will need a larger supply. Assuming it will be about 5KW, a 20A radial will need to be installed for this, from the Consumer Unit, with a 20A double pole switch somewhere near the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back