Double Glaze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help, I understand you can find websites on how to make bombs, I must be hopeless because I can’t even manage to find a website on how to install a double glazed unit into a pvc window frame and also into a wooden frame.

Single glazing I’ve done just get the old mastic gun out squirt some into the rebate shove the glass in, which is slightly smaller than the rebate it going into, then some more mastic, bed and pin some beading into it, then clean the surplus mastic off.

I’ve noticed on pvc frames a black rubber seal next to the glass so do I need to put mastic into the rebates or does the rubber do the job.

I know the glass has to stand on spacers within the rebates so the spacer bars which separate the planes of glass are central within the rebate, but I have heard the term toe and heel mentioned but I somehow don’t think they are referring to getting shoes repaired, I know its something to do with the opening lights closing properly, on a wooden frame you can always sand a bit off if it’s catching.

So if anyone has any info on all of this or can give me a website it would be much appreciated.

Just remembered I’ve scraped some flashband off a brick wall, lovely black line about a bricks width and 20 foot long any ideas how I can clean the black off, scraper skids over the remainder.

Clive

:?:

Sponsored Links
you don't need to use silicone sealant bedding when glazing a modern upvc window. as you say the black rubber gasket or security tape will deal with it.

toe and heel packing is a system of supporting the glazed unit, in the frame or sash, so that the weight of the glass is mainly on the hinge side, as upvc frames are notorious for "dropping".

white spirit should dissolve the bitumastic residue on the brickwork.

Good advice there, can I add as you've reminded me- the 'heel' spacer is under the hinge which takes all the weight of glass, and the 'toe' is at the top of vertical upright oposite- both 2 or 3 inches in from the corners, allow the glass a little room to move- 4mm- when fitting other spacers.
The inside gasket strips are not easy to press in- take great care with the glass or you can get misting later. Frame fixers are usually used to fix the main framework- you could do with a diagram.
Hope this helps a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back