On site glazing in wooden frames

Tul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of double glazed panes to fit in hardwood frames. I have been researching this and it isn't easy. If I look at NHBC guidance they only accept dry vented and drained installation so I guess this is a good start. Also it seems putty should be kept miles away from the edge strip as this causes premature de-gassing, so this is what I intend to do; external glazing; apply double sided (5mm thick) foam tape to the rebate, set the glass up on 5mm blocks and then apply non foam double sided tape to the outside of the glass, fix the mouldings to the tape and use sheradised panel pins. The bottom moulding has to have small grooves every 100mm added to allow ventilation and drainage.

I started from no information and have yet to find a definitive guide so am I right with this method or have I missed a trick? Happy new year

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back