Double glazed box sliding sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've nearly finished my first one of 8 windows. We wanted timber Box sliding sash windows, after finding out they would cost nearly £1000 each I figured I'd make my own. I've had to design them myself as plans aren't available for ones with double glazing and up to date details. It taken loads of time to get to this stage but I've detailed the construction on my blog http://slidingsash.blogspot.com/ So I can follow it as I'm building the others.

It's also one of reasons why Ive not finished off the loft conversion yet.

Here's a few pics to show how its come together
Dovetail joints
Box construction
glued up sashes
horn detail
all together

I'm up to painting them now using linseed oil paint.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Finished and fitted
9135%20outside%20fitted.jpg

9132%20inside%20fitted.jpg

Now - on to the other 6

Wow.

Living in similar era property where someone previous put in uPVC (and appear to be very cheap ones at that), I'm dead jealous --- both of your craft skills & the fact you're putting in modern versions of the lovely sash window.

windows look good due, however there is a problem, if your gonna stand that close to the dart board, make sure you get a better score!

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

I'll remember to wear goggles and hard hat next time I stand next to the dart board.

JPDW,
Thanks for your comments.
It's been lot of work to do one, mainly on the design side, the next ones will be much quicker. When its broken down in to stages the woodwork skills needed are fairly basic. Hopefully when I've drawn up some plans etc. Anyone with the tools and the time should be able to build similar. My blog http://slidingsash.blogspot.com/ shows the processes involved.
It could be a fantastic money saving project for anyone fancying some "extreme DIY".
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back