Double glazed door with old but hinges closes on its own

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This door along with windows was installed about 14 years ago, it has been wonderful and when its closed it's fine.
Very recently when we want to leave it open, is slowly starts to close, its not a big drama just slightly irritating having to wedge it open.
I have had my spirit level on it and everything seems perfectly in line.

It has 4 Butt hinges with a grub screw top and bottom and a pin top and bottom with an allen key which I understand to be adjusters.
I am assuming that adjusting the allen key position may resolve the problem but I have tried adjusting all of the pins which is a ball aching job it has made a slight difference but not enough.

The question is do I adjust them in a sequence or do I adjust one, whichever is the answer there is a marker scratch on each hinge but I have no idea what positioin they are supposed to be in, slowly pulling all of my hair out and I don't have that much left....Thanks

Sponsored Links
The pins are cams, so as you rotate them they move the door in/out and side to side by about 1.5mm either way.
Sounds to me as though the hinge side is not perfectly plumb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back