double glazed sliding patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can anyone advise please. I've got a pair of patio doors one of which slides to open. Size about normal door height by 2300 mm total width for the two. The double glazed panels of which they consist are misted. I thought it would be possible to remove just the double glazed units from the frames and replace them. However as I look around online people are on about replacing the whole thing, i.e the frames and what they slide in as well, going on to questions of repairing internal plaster etc. etc. OK I'll buy that the frames holding the units might need to be replaced, but the whole surround, i.e. the whole thing, torn out of the brickwork and replaced? As the saying goes, "say it isn't so, Joe". Thanks in advance for any advice. - Terry.

Sponsored Links
What type of patio is it, ali, pvc or timber?

Either way, glass went in.......glass come out!

crank39 - thanks, that's what I think too, if something can be made then it can be fixed by repeating part of the process by which it was made in the first place. sadly not always easy these days. The patio door seems to have a wood bead say 8 X 1.5 cm all the way round (may be thicker in the middle and recessed into the cavity) then an aliminium frame that the opening one of the doors runs in. Then the actual doors are ali frames with a single glazed unit in each one. Do you know if I can post photos on here? Anyway, there seems to be a bead of some sort round the edge where the glass meets the ali frame, maybe that could be got out and the units replaced as you would a normal window unit? Doesn't matter if it's not d.i.y but I would have thought someone would / could do it? Cheers, Terry.

Sounds an interesting setup this - ali frame with timber beads, hmmm!

Yes you can post photo's on here but don't ask how, the instructions go way over my head lol! But yes they would help loads, get pics of the bead, frame section from in and outside and the corners to see if theres any screws holding all 4 sides together (known as wrap around)

Sponsored Links
Thanks crank39. I'll try to get pics over the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back